one of my random musings... for some reason I began thinking about the significance of the number three during worship. I had the background set with the 3 crosses... as I was looking at I wondered why the person who painted it had put all three crosses on. then I wondered WHY there were three crosses in the first place. I thought that there must be something to the number three. so I began contemplating the number three... it hit me! the Trinity is three! wow... ok, for some reason that was REALLY deep to me. so now I can't stop thinking about the number three. I can't think of much else about it except that my friends used to be in a band called tHr3 and they were only called that because they started with 3 people in the band. haha
so now I'm gonna look at dictionary.com and see if I get anything from that...
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
three /θri/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[three] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation,
–noun
1. a cardinal number, 2 plus 1.
2. a symbol for this number, as 3 or III.
3. a set of this many persons or things.
4. a playing card, die face, or half of a domino face with three pips. –adjective
5. amounting to three in number. —Idiom
6. three sheets in the wind. sheet2 (def. 3).
[Origin: bef. 900; ME; OE thréo, thrīo, fem. and neut. of thrī(e); c. D drie, G drei, ON thrīr, Goth threis, Gk treǐs, L trés three, ter thrice, Ir trí, OCS tri, Skt trī, tráyas]
and I just learned that "three sheets in the wind" means that a person is drunk. how random... why didn't I know that before?
Dear Yahoo!:
How did the phrase "three sheets to the wind" come to refer to being drunk?
Tippi
Dear Tippi:
Drink up, me hearties, yo ho! The sailing life gave us the intoxicating phrase "three sheets to the wind," although "three sheets in the wind" came first.
Among nautical folks, a "sheet" refers to the rope used to secure a ship's sail. On the square-rigged ships of yore, three sheets were needed to tie up the sails. So, if all three of the ship's sheets were loose in the wind, the sail would flop about and the ship would go off course -- rather like a drunken sailor staggering around on shore.
"Three sheets in the wind" was first recorded in 1821 by Pierce Egan in his work "Real Life in London." In those days, sailors had a rating system for their inebriation. "One sheet" was merely tipsy, and it went up to "four sheets," meaning unconscious. Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum, indeed.
ok, so my ruminations about the number three went somewhere I totally didn't expect but I don't care. I learned something new. I never knew "three sheets to the wind" meant being drunk... and now I'll know how to classify levels of drunkenness in regards to sheets. haha
About Me
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
so i looked at my dream book....and it said that it means "to conform: obey, copy, imitate, likeness, tradition." thought i'd tell you just in case you asked haha =)
lol very interesting.. i never knew one word could have so much meaning! pretty cool
unabridged??.. wait.. i think that was one of my sat words... oh the memories.
Post a Comment