Friday, July 4, 2008

Chinese S'mores

4th of July always reminds me of that fateful day 4 yrs ago... Ruth and I wanted an AMERICAN 4th of July, despite the fact we were in China. first we contemplated buying firecrackers and then eating Chinese bbq. we ended up going to Jackie's (YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!! yummy American food!) and then still wanted something more American. we decided on S'mores. yes, S'mores in China. despite the fact that there are no graham crackers in Yantai... nor regular marshmallows. our concoction was created using butter cookies, fruit flavoured marshmallows and Dove chocolate. ok... another stumbling block... my stove was deadly. it was known for singeing hairs off of peoples' arms. so we were avoiding it at all costs. fortunately I had a toaster oven... so we attempted making S'mores in a toaster oven. ok, after taking the bus all over town to buy just those 3 ingredients and then not even having a way to make the S'mores we were not discouraged. actually... the toaster oven S'mores turned out quite well despite the fact that there were no graham crackers and they were a bit fruity. haha actually, maybe I should make them again. they were pretty yummy.... hmmmmm..........

2 comments:

Danielle said...

eww?

Ruth said...

I was just thinking about that 4th of July yesterday, since I was again in China for 4th of July. This time, instead of attempting to be American, I attempted to see the Olympic torch, since it was in Xi'an. I didn't actually see the torch, but I did see LOTS of Chinese flags and really excited Chinese people. It was a memorable 4th of July, although not very patriotic (for America).