
I immediately had flash backs to when I worked in accounting and also did lots of filing... and thought I was gonna die from the smell of these things... these stupid papers smell AWFUL! and I'd be working with them all day so my hands would end up smelling like them. just thinking about them brings back the scent. it makes me want to cry.... I wish I could forget that scent but my olfactory senses won't permit it... or maybe it's so embedded in my brain that it's just that I THINK I smell it and I think it so intently that I DO smell it. seriously, I could do without that memory in my brain. I remember when I first noticed the smell and I was trying to find where it was coming from... little did I know, I was SURROUNDED by it! ARGH!
the worst was the temp job I had in which I was sent into a filing "room" (I swear it was more like a dungeon. dark, dank, cold, weird lighting, lonely, etc) by myself to file those papers all day! the smell alone is bad enough... add in the other assets and it makes it torturous! I did that for about a week straight. they finally let me out of the dungeon and had me do a desk job. that wasn't any better... the company made products for cats and dogs. products like shampoos and stuff. and for some reason, the office I worked in smelled like all the chemicals.... and I was also working with that stupid paper. I actually asked to be taken off that temp job at the temp office. partially cuz of the above listed reasons and partially because I had no clue why they had me there as long as they did because they had me just sitting in the office doing nothing.
being a receptionist is just as crappy.... I did that for several months on temp jobs, also. one place I worked had a huge warehouse and a pretty big office. mind you, I'm a temp and I barely know any of the people and I definitely have no idea about anything that's going on with the business and their customers... anyhow, I've decided that nobody should ever call an office during lunch time... and if you do, you should know in advance that you're going to be leaving a voicemail or a message with the receptionist. seriously, people get stupid at lunch time or something. they'd call and ask me to transfer them to so-and-so. I'd transfer them and the person would be away from their desk or on the phone so it'd go to voicemail. the person would press 0 to go back to the operator and ask AGAIN to be transfered. I didn't always know that it was a person coming back to me as it was a busy switchboard and if I was on another line there was no identification that it was a return. so I'd transfer them again and they'd come back to me again. then they'd complain that the person wasn't at their desk and asked me to PAGE them over the intercom. I'd do this once and then they'd come back to me (I have to go through this as I literally don't even know if the person is in the building... they were supposed to let me know when they left and came back in... but most of them didn't AND I was a temp so I didn't even know who everyone was!) complaining that the person never answered. at which point I'd politely suggest that they leave a voicemail or a message with me (actually, I suggested this at any point that they began complaining)... then they'd start complaining to me about whatever problem they were calling about and ask ME what they should do... ME?! heck, I don't even know who they are or who the person they're calling for is in charge of and they want me to tell them how to handle a problem?! I'd explain that I'm just the receptionist and it'd be best to leave a message... they'd get furious with me and start complaining about how the company has bad communication, blah blah blah... seriously, people are too high strung! haha
anyhow, Danielle's post from yesterday just made me remember all that and she suggested that I blog about it... so I did! :) I think it was a form of inner healing by letting it out... all the woundings from past jobs. lol seriously though, I never want to work with NCR paper again and I STILL don't like answering the phone 99% of the time. lol
hmmm... just had another memory about a different temp job. it was so stupid. small company that got maybe 5 calls a day and 4 of those were from there own tech people that worked in the office just asking me where someone was or whatever... well, everyone loved me. I worked hard, it was a pretty simple job and I was always kept busy... and suddenly one day the boss calls me in the office and said he didn't like the way I was saying the name of the company (Triton Communication... or something like that. something about phones. I forget). I was kinda swallowing the second t. so he told me to pronounce it with a hard second t. I started doing that.... and then a couple days later he complained that the hard second t sounded too cold and harsh and had me go back to the way I was originally saying it. then a few days later he randomly said that I wasn't needed there anymore because we weren't "compatible". (I say he's mafia... Italian guy. lol anyhow, that had nothing to do with anything about this story...) I was SO angry. he just dropped me during lunch randomly one day. I went back to the temp office and told them what happened. well, it turns out that the person who I replaced quit her new job and wanted her old job back.... so he decided to take her back and I ended up being dropped. well, anyhow, I was tired of working for the "mafia" anyhow. the rest of the guys were cool, but he was a jerk.
one other temp job I had was cool, despite the fact that I worked in accounting so was ALWAYS working with NCR paper (I think it's of the devil... why else would it smell like that?!?!?!). the president and co-president were brothers. in their late 30's/early 40's. the co-president was ALWAYS joking around. I was a bit intimidated by him for a while. but then I got comfortable there... and I don't remember what happened but he came to the front office (where the accounting was) and was giving people a hard time joking around... without thinking, I said something right back at him (don't remember what, but I remember being VERY sarcastic and keeping a straight face) and everyone was like "oooohhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" he looked shocked and started laughing. he started to walk away and then thought of a come back and came back in and said it to me. it was so funny. we were laughing about it the whole day. then there was the time I almost fainted in the office.... that was kinda traumatic! haha it was the beginning of the day and I was getting my desk ready for it by straightening up any loose items. I put some stuff in the draw and went to close it. somehow, someway (unknown to me to this day) I slammed my thumb in the drawer pushing back the cuticle and just making it hurt REAL BAD! at that moment I felt like all the blood rushed out of my body. I was in so much pain that I couldn't even look at my finger. I swore it was bleeding like mad. I just held it tight and tried to calm myself down. yeah, it didn't work.... eventually I got up and went to the bathroom to wash it off... at which point I discovered that it wasn't even bleeding! LOL but I still felt faint and then suddenly I had a cold flash. I was going into shock or something... someone brought me a cup of milk to try to get something in my system. anyhow, during all that my face went real pale. after I was done going through all of that shock my pale face was compared to a post-it note. so, for the rest of the day there were jokes about post-its going on in the office. heck, even the guys out in the shop knew what happened and I didn't even know half those guys. HAHA
ok, finger slamming reminded me of another finger slamming incident on another job. last year (?) I was visiting insurance agents for my job and as I was walking in one place I was trying to keep the door from slamming, not realizing that there was a gap between the door and the doorway and I ended up slamming my thumb in the little gap. I immediately knew it was bad news but kept my cool while talking with the agent... I left the office and freaked out. I didn't want to look at my finger. when I finally did... I was DISGUSTED! I had split the fingernail up * down instead of left to right and there was blood and skin popping through the split, etc. it was just gross and crazy painful... I wrapped my finger up and drove around til I found a store where I rushed in and bought bandaids and antibiotic with pain relief. seriously, I was still using bandaids on that nasty split for like 3 or 4 weeks. it was bad.
I totally did not intend on talking about those injuries... hope I didn't gross you out. and if I didn't gross you out, I hope you found it in you to laugh hysterically at me! LOL :-)
2 comments:
you're gonna have ncr paper nightmares if you keep talking about it....haha well at least you never had to make copies on it.....the smell is worse when it comes out of the copy machine...
and hey i wanna go to 21 choices! it sounds YUM OOOO =)
and wow this blog was freakin long....
This is great info to know.
Post a Comment