so, yesterday I was perusing the internet news via fark.com (as always) when I came across a bit of news that made me HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!! I saw the headline "China to Change One-Child Policy" and I KNEW I had to read it! so, here's the link to the article http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1718772,00.html?xid=feed-rss-netzero for your reading enjoyment.
seriously, it makes me incredibly happy to read that. China would be such a different country right now if it didn't have this law currently in place. the article estimates that if this law had never existed there'd be 400 million more people in China. that's just an estimate, which I'm sure doesn't include the countryside numbers. and just to clarify, that does NOT just mean that 400 million babies were aborted. it means that millions and millions and millions of BORN, healthy, living babies were drowned or suffocated or abandoned and left to die.
it's heart wrenching enough for me to imagine abortion. I know people that have had abortions and its not easy to live through. even today, I was reminded about the miracle of life as Rey (my co-worker) was looking at what a 22-week old fetus looks like and reading about its development. he was doing that because his wife is pregnant. anyhow, yeah... a baby is a miracle of life and there's really no excuse for abortion as that IS murder.
but seriously.... in China a lot of people would go full term, have the baby... and then kill it or abandon it. ESPECIALLY if it were female. I don't even like thinking about that.
but I'm praying that what this article claims will actually come to life and that children's lives will be spared. working with all the precious children in China, this means a lot to me. they are deserving of life! and their parents shouldn't have to be forced to murder a child or pay fees that are well over their YEARLY wages, every year, just to be blessed with multiple children.
there are so many other benefits to having more than one child. but I won't go into all that cuz it'd most likely bore you to death. it's just stuff I feel passionate about after living in China for so long.
did you know that before the one child policy was in place, Chinese families were typically very large? it wasn't uncommon to find families with 6+ children. what a huge difference from such lareg families to families with only one child!
ok, I'm going to stop talking about all this because I'm not even sure if you're really interested in it...
About Me
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment