Sunday, March 23, 2008

10 things you don't know

10 things about yourself people might not know


1. I LOOOOOOOOOOVE soccer. I don't care what language it's in... I could watch it all day. In 2004 during the EuroCup I lived in China and got absolutely no sleep the whole time... Time differences SUCK. I'd stay up to watch all 3 daily games, the last one would start at 3:30 am. One time I fell asleep during a game and didn't know it and actually dreamt the whole last half of the game. I woke up in the morning SO ANGRY at the result of the game. When I turned on the tv to watch the sports news I saw that the score was different than what I thought it was. I started watching the clips and realized that... nothing I remembered happening was in the clips. And, in fact, I didn't remember anything that they were showing. Finally realized I had dreamt the whole last half... I was so confused...

2. I use random quotes from tv shows, commercials and movies... but 99% of the time nobody knows I'm actually quoting anything. They just think that I'm saying something stupid (cuz I do that quite often too). Usually when I finally tell them I'm quoting something, they look at me like I've lost my mind cuz they don't get the reference. And I always pick the most obscure things to quote. Seriously now... Can you HONESTLY tell me what movie "oh no, not again!" is from and what the scene is?!

3. I can't concentrate in absolute silence. If it's too quiet, my leg starts shaking or I start tapping a pencil or something and I can't think straight. That probably has something to do with why I do so bad on formal tests. But I do perfectly fine in nature... probably cuz it's never absolutely quiet in the mountains, desert, forest, beach, etc...

4. I used to have a lisp. My "s"'s always came out sounding funny. In elementary school I had a speach therapist, who is the stepmom for a girl that was on Kids Incorporated. I'd always say my "s"'s right in class... but it took a lot of work to say them and made my jaw tired, so I'd only do them right if I was speaking in front of people. I kept my lisp through jr. high and then decided that I had to get rid of it in high school. During a class in high school I had to read a poem that had a lot of "s"'s in it and it was really difficult for me to do it so I had to slow down... and my teacher marked me down a little cuz she said I didn't read it fluently enough. >_<

5. I feel weird around large groups of white people. Always have. Most of my close friends have been of other races. Black, Mexican, Chinese, Filipino, Syrian, Vietnamese, etc. In school, most of my classmates were not white... I lived in China for 4 yrs... and my church is VERY multicultural. I'm just not used to so many white people and actually feel physically uncomfortable being around them. I also notice more when there are lots of white people around than when I'm the only white person.

6. When I'm really tired, I default to using Chinese or really bad Chinglish. In China I always tried to speak proper English and my rule in class was that Chinese was not allowed... and I NEVER spoke Chinese in class. Til my last year there when I was exhausted (try being the only foreign teacher for K-12) and it was just easier for me to say something in Chinese if they didn't get it the first time around instead of repeating over and over again in English using different words. So, ever since then I started thinking in Chinese when I'm tired or when I'm stressed out or trying to figure out how something's going to work out.

7. My work space has to be PERFECTLY in order when I first get to work and when I leave (unless it's my desk at work... in which case, I have just way too many things and not enough space, so everything's in piles) but can be in all states of disarray throughout the day and not bother me a bit. I spend my first couple of min's in the office straightening up my desk and the lats few min's before leaving putting stuff in their place. I know I do it at the end of the day so that I can see I've completed everything I needed to do for the day. Not so sure why I do it first thing in the morning... Fresh start?

8. I'm afraid of bees... Not the "AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! run away" kind of fear. I'm just afraid they're going to sting me when I don't know they're around. I have no problem being around bees and I think they're beautiful... but the THREE times I've been stung by bees were totally unexpected. Once I got stung between my toes at a July 4 party, once I landed on a bee while doing a cartwheel before gymnastics class out on the front lawn and lastly one fell in my hair when I was playing under a tree and I thought it was a leaf so when I went to take it out it stung me.

9. I love cooking but hate cooking for just myself. I could cook all day long and have so much fun and not care about the cost if I'm cooking for at least one other person than myself... but if I'm hungry and nobody else is around, I'd much rather go get something from the store. It's not that I'm lazy... I just find it pointless. It costs more to buy all the ingredients for me to cook my own food than it does for me to eat out and so I'd rather just eat out.

10. I love lightning. And thunder. I love to feel the rumble of the thunder and seeing the lightning crash in the sky. But what I really love is the lightning I experienced in Yantai. So amazing... so I just found a picture of it online and am gonna include it. Seriously, these are how our lightning storms looked. And I say "lightning storms" cuz they didn't always include thunder... or even rain, for that matter. And why doesn't anyone ever believe me when I tell them that?! Then they experience it and they're like "wow!!!!!!! I've never seen that before!" And yes, I say "I told you so!"



Ok, I'm supposed to tag people now that are supposed to do this 10 things about themself... but I don't even know who reads my blog or who writes blogs... So I'm just gonna ask YOU to write 10 things about yourself that you think I don't know. :-) That should be interesting.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

ok so i already knew about the soccer thing. and the fact you use random quotes. I have no idea where "oh no, not again" is from....or do i?? hmm probably not....

Gombojav Tribe said...

Fun! I like learning more about you!!

www.gombojav.blogspot.com