Tuesday, August 26, 2008

injuries suck (especially when they're my brother's!)

yeah, I'd be one to know how badly injuries suck... and yes, I'm notorious for NOT taking care of my injuries. in fact, just today I tweaked my knee a little and it's now bugging the snot out of me. it was already giving me a hard time and then I had to go and tweak it. eh, I'm mostly used to it. I've gotten better about taking care of myself but am still careless.

well, the other day I found out my bro had a stress fracture in his neck. knowing him it probably hurt like crazy before he even considered going to the doctor about it. turns out he also has degenerative disk something or other (yeah, I'm deep... I don't even know what the technical term is for what's wrong with my knee!). so I was talking with my sis-in-law's mom about it. turns out the Army hospital doesn't want to do anything for him. they only discovered the problem because he had an x-ray for the fracture. now they aren't taking any course of action. I'm ready to put up my fists and FIGHT for him. they didn't give him any details about what's wrong or offer any form of relief or anything. I'm just glad he's not on the field right now, cuz he's as stubborn as me and would continue working as hard as possible until his body falls apart before his eyes. haha I may have exaggerated a teeny tiny bit, but yeah... we're like that.

maybe I'll just have to go up to see him and his family instead of doing other travels for a vacation. I DO want to see them! I miss them all! but at the same time, I need a real holiday... we'll see what happens. I'm gonna talk with my chiropractor and see what he has to say. and I know his wife and his mother-in-law aren't gonna let him sit around and get trampled all over. I just wanna make sure he's gonna be ok. he's had back pain since jr. high and has never gotten it taken care of. I'm just surprised that the Army is being so stupid.

so, thinking about my bro's injury made me start thinking about mine. nothing deep about them. I mean, there's not much I can say about them that hasn't already been said. I've been going to the chiropractor for a month now & he says that my neck is improving faster than they expected. they already took my update x-ray this week because of how fast it's improving. (*whispering* don't tell him that I haven't been doing 3 of the 4 exercises he gave me!!!!) it's totally God's grace that I've been improving so quickly. I just wish there was something he could do for my knee and my fractures. but alas, those are unfixable injuries. well, the knee can be fixed with surgery. I'm thinking I just may do that one day. especially for once I have kids. I can't kneel or crawl on the floor or anything witout it really bothering me let alone run around and play soccer (haha yeah, soccer! soccer's the best!). my leg even gets tired swimming and I wear a knee brace when I know I'm going to be doing an unusually large amount of walking. it's just inconvenient. so, the other day Doug was making fun of when my back got fractured. I always tell everyone I fell from 7 ft. I'm not exactly sure how high I was when I fell... but Doug always tells people that I fell from 15 ft. I find it pretty funny. I doubt I was actually that high, but I know I was at least 7 ft high.

not much else to say about injuries. my elbow seems to be getting a bit better. but then again, I haven't been playing any sports with it lately or doing too much heavy lifting. concert season is starting up again so we'll see how it goes when we strike & reset stage in a few weeks. my poor, poor fractured/broken finger is now fine. I'm just glad that, for once, my instincts set in and I immediately realized "I shouldn't be moving this finger at all". it took a few weeks to heal and was quite frustrating at times (especially when trying to work) but am glad I was persistent in taking care of it.

alrighty then, enough about injuries... I'm off to find out all I can about stress fractures and degenerative disk whatever it's called so that I have ammunition to fire at the Army doc's if I have to go out there and yell at them in person.

No comments: